Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:07:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump No Juice
Comments: To: kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM

first .,... if you just need it to run .. route a 'hot wire' temporarily to the postive teminal of the fuel pump. Then it wil run if everything except fuel pump control is working.

I like to even connect something like that to a tail light .. so the your light switch controls that temporary circuit.

I suspect you do not understand how the cirucit works. here's how it works..

1. There is power to the fuel pump only when the fuel pump relay is energized ( it's one of the two in that black box above the coil ..the other is the 'main relay' ..that powers up the ECU ) .

2. The fuel pump Relay is energized by the ECU suppliing ground to the fuel pump relay. ( if you found that wire at the fuel pump relay .........disconnected itr so it's not connected to the the ecu, and grounded it ....you would energize the fp relay 'manaully.'...like as a test or emergency way to run the engine ) .

2.5 ....the ecu supplies ground two different times....one is when you just turn the key 'on' ( NOT to 'start'...just on ) ...the ecu supplies grnd to the fp relay for about 8 senconds...then disconnects. It's always a good idea to start the van that way ..turn on key ..listen for fp to run and shut off .. and also check that the warning lights are working at the same time < a check so often never done.,>

the other time the ecu supplies grnd to energize the fp relay is when the ecu sees the distributor turning ..that also triggers the fp relay...by the ecu supplying ground to it.

That's the only way the fuel pump ever gets power.. the ecu supplies ground to the fp relay to energize it.

so work on that system or cirucit.

you could have a bad fp relay ..but that's rare. one should have a spare on of those relays around anyway , for testing and self-rescue.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Grotz" <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:42 AM Subject: Fuel Pump No Juice