Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Apr 2011 14:00:45 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Insurance shenanigans.
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>

---- Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > dear insurance > after reading that Hartford Causality wrote you ... it solidifies .... > and this is why a policy must have an "Agreed Value" of insured $ > we drive high end antique vehicles that require to be rebuilt by hand and > often with special tools specific to this vehicle only

Agreed that our vehicles (those we care for) are worth more on the market than the ACV that insurance companies want to use. Getting a policy that recognizes that AND allows us to use them as some of us want to use them is more difficult. For example, most agreed value policies have a yearly mileage limit, and it is rather low (with Leland it is 5K miles per year). Some specify what kind of driving (for example, if I am checking out my vehicle for maintenance purposes, and drive it to the store, then that is outside the allowed "pleasure driving" of some policies. Commuting is not allowed, and I notice that some of you use your Vanagons for daily driving including commuting. Often, the vehicle must be garaged except when taken to a show or driven for pleasure.

Just be sure when you pony up the extra money for an agreed value policy that it allows you to use your vehicle as you want to. And don't buy a "stated value" policy. It is the same as an ACV policy, just more expensive. With state value, the insurance company does not agree to the value you state, it just charges you for it. If your vehicle is determined by them to be worth less (after the fact), that's your tough luck.

mcneely