Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:43:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Consistent cutout at 3k rpm
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>

hi .. all good thinking .. I am pretty sure a timing light will not show injector pulse signal. though I have not actually tried that. I will drive around with a timing light flashing where I can see it , just in case that reveals ign quitting when it falls on it's face. I've put a fuel pump indicator light on a few times.. on the off chance that was not getting it's power at some point ..though that would be rare, and also would be a 'soft' cut out, not a hard one, most likely.

I use a NOID light to detect injector signal at the injectors. I have never needed to .. but it would be interesting to wire a NOID light on an old injector connector on long wires.. connected in parallel ...and NOID light arranged where I could watch it, like in the rear view mirror. I don't know if that would actually work .. I should try that sometime. but I do like to rig up ways to detect what's going on, and what might be dropping out when the engine falls on it's face .. on one van .....that would just 'barely go' sometimes.. driving with a fuel pressure gauge connected revealed fuel pressure was dropping off when the engine was loosing power .. that was a combination of sorta clogged fuel filter and water in the fuel .

btw..I don't get the impression that even professionals consider the fuel itself much .. in the wintertime ...that should be considered..and take a sample of the fuel in a clear jar to see what you see, and I always empty out fuel filters backwards to see what is in them. Always, any time the ff comes off.

but ....it 'seems' that your issue is related to your ignition installation . and if it's a 'hard cut out'...that points more to ignition or possibly injector signal.

I have had afm's with a dead spot in them ..with an 'uneven' spot in them . and had them run pretty 'unevenly' . One had a clear 'cut-out' at about 70 mph when it did it ..just a half second of no power.. then pick back up. that was a dead spot in the amf , pretty sure. that was an 84 waterboxer.

and naturally .. you'd go right back to what you just worked on. I just keep all the tools and all the parts and everything handy until it's finally really fixed.

I'd probably pop a points dist back in as a test.

What kind of vanagon is it again ??? ( just joking. )

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Poole" <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:04 PM Subject: Re: Consistent cutout at 3k rpm