Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:41:28 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying a Van

> 'Weekender' is actually a slang term .. > used to denote a Westy PopTop Vanaogn without the westy kitchen stuff ..

Besides the aforementioned model, people also apply the term to a tintop van which has the 'Weekender Package'. VW's official brochures during the period uses that name specifically. It describes the package as being comprised of a bench which folds into a bed, a cushion/mattress over the rear deck, & middle 2-person bench with setbacks that fold forward. Later Weekender Packages got jumpseats w/ & w/o the side folding table.

I happen to have both models on hand today -- both the one that Scott describes and the one I just did. Got 'em on the same day just a week ago.

> they have stamped lower control arms in the front suspension ..which work as well as the later cast iron ones.

I have a 1985 Westfalia Wolfsburg Edition. It came w/ the cast iron lower control arms. Since it's a Wolfy, it's late production.

> a lot of them have Power Steering and tachometer......and often AC. > Weekenders.

<sigh> The DPO of my Wolfy was a frugal buyer. No PS. No AC. No tach. No power anything.

As Dan pointed out, 'no smog' meaning post-sale or bienniel testing is not required. What is it they say in the US military? "Don't ask. Don't tell?" As Sullivan pointed out, it's technically illegal to switch from diesel to gas but only if you do not run it by the CARB referee. Once you've certified your conversion, you get a sticker on your door jamb which tells the smog check tech details about your swap. The ugly of that situation is your registration gets an asterisk with a year of your conversion. Doesn't really matter much since they now inspect 1976-present models forever. The old rolling 30-year exemption was signed off by the Governator.

BenT >