Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:36:35 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sad story
Comments: To: Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>

re I recently read about hot wiring the starter from the engine bay and I could immediately see some poor soul getting backed over because they didn't know to put a Manual transmission Vanagon gear shift in Neutral.

good point. here is what I do ANY time I am going to use a remote starter switch or a hidden starter cheater wire in the engine compartment.. first application is just a brief barely 'tiny touch' of the button .. to see if it's in gear......... and there is this one too .. in cases of checking things...rotating the engine with a big wrench on the crankshaft pulley, check valve say .... it's not that hard to anciently leave the wrench on there .. it's pretty scary when you go to start it and that wrench flies off there . can do real damage too... so in all cases of first starting to use a Remote Starter Switch .. give the starter a very very brief small 'bump' first.. and if it's not in gear.. and nothing flies off the engine ..then go ahead and crank away.

learn that habit .. at least one time out of 10 or 20 times..it'll be in gear ... or there will be a wrench or tool still on the engine or a bolt or something.

and *NEVER* .........never , never , never ..............stand in front of or behind any car and tell the person sitting in the drivers seat to start the car. guaranteed.....about 3/5ths of the time they'll be flustered or nervous ..and they'll start it in gear.

and NEVER ! work on any engine with someone in the driver's seat !!! unless you told them to, and they are gonig to do only exactly what you tell them to....that's fine .. but don't start working away while they're there.. they'll turn on the key to listen to the radio ..or accidently blow the horn and scare the crap out of you etc..

last one .. never be under a car while someone else is moving a car near you . ( if it's on stands ) .. I had someone drive a car into one I was almost under once.. they forgot the brakes barely were working ...drove right into the back of the one I was not quite under.

lots of ways to get hurt working on cars or vanagons ..so be super careful.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Martin" <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:11 PM Subject: Re: Sad story