Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:38:20 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tach drops fast when it cuts out
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>

At 04:50 PM 4/12/2011, Richard A Jones wrote: >Hall sender on the distributor.

Anything at all in the ignition primary circuit, from the Hall sender through the ECU to the coil itself and the +12 supply to the coil. The tach does a valuable service by telling you that it's definitely an ignition primary problem, but beyond that you have to track it down. The Hall sender itself is a single transistor-like component under very little electrical stress, not prone to electrical failure. I don't know whether as assembled in the distributor it may have vibration issues - if the leads are soldered that's always a weak point. The ignition drivers are high-current high-voltage high-stress components, and if they're in a Digifant-type ECU they definitely are soldered as well, so they're vulnerable in more than one way.

The distributor connector on WBX engines is a known weak point as it disintegrates; as is the ignition driver inside the 2.1l Digifant ECU (whereas the separate 1.9l ignition driver seems pretty bulletproof).

As I said in pmail, wiggling the wiring about while the engine is running is a powerful tool for finding this kind of probably-a-connection-problem.

Intermittents suck. I spent fifteen years chasing a problem in our gas boiler that would cause it to shut down and kill the pilot once in a while on the coldest nights or when we were away. Eventually turned out to be bad solder on a control board. Repair cost twenty cents and about twenty hours of headscratching and monitoring temps and such. It only died seven or eight times total, never failed to start up again; and only the once when I was tweaking and banging on things...and I didn't understand the schematic as well as I thought I did. And of course there was a "red-herring" issue with a dirty slide switch that confused me for a year or three.

And if you can't make the problem happen, the only way to be sure of fixing it is to replace everything, wires and all. When someone is paying someone else for a repair, unless money is truly no object typically nobody ends up happy unless the shop can replicate the problem at will. $$Time vs $$Parts vs $$Inconvenience vs $$Reputation --> tears. How it looks to me, anyway.

Yrs, David