Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:16:04 -0700
From:         David White <sirgrumpsalot@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's the connection between the temp and fuel gauges?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

I do appreciate the time you put into the troubleshooting procedure for my gauges. However I am a simple man. I do own an average voltmeter yet it only sees the light of day under situations of extreme crisis. Since I had the spare used part I opted to switch out the voltage stabilizer and when that restored complete gauge function (including a nice bright coolant LED) I opted to forgo the troubleshooting. I have saved the offensive part and will gladly send it to you or anyone else who desires sufficient conclusion to this conundrum. Perhaps a collection of spare parts can sometimes be considered a crutch or an impediment to learning. But that part is getting me down the road and I am blessed for its existence, just as I am blessed to have people like you and others on this list who try to teach me new things. Your instructions will be saved for a future crisis.

Thanks again, David

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 03:49 PM 4/15/2011, David White wrote: >> >> Driving down the road, in the rain, both the coolant temp gauge and >> fuel tank gauge go to zero. > > Both gauges are supplied with +10v from the voltage regulator on the panel, > so if there's a problem with it or its wiring the gauges will stop.  The > regulator gets +12v along with the rest of the panel so any wiring problem > is on the flexible circuit at or near the regulator itself (see 90.4 figure > 2).  Be gentle with the flexible circuit, especially if it's a hot-weather > vehicle - some of them are delaminating. > >> start the engine the coolant temp light  blinks forever but it's >> pretty faint.  When I start the engine sometimes the coolant blinks >> for the three seconds, other times it never blinks. The rest of the >> lights on the dash are bright. What's the deal? 1984 Vanagon GL > > Get the voltage within spec and then revisit the LED blinker.  Proper > operation is 2-3 second blink at key-on.  If voltage is correct (10 +/- > 0.5v) and you get extended blinking, very high probability you need to > replace or have replaced a 10 uF 16v capacitor inside the temp gauge which > controls blink duration.  Blink brightness (assuming input voltage ok) is > the LED itself.  Replacing it is quite possible but not completely > straightforward as it's a self-blinking LED that runs on 5.0 volts, not a > standard one like the rest of the panel LEDs.  We can talk about that after > you get the gauges reading correctly. > > Yrs, > d > > >