Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:11:39 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shoulder Arthroplasty Anyone?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Mister Tom <TomsGroups@salicos.com> wrote:

> I wonder if any other Vanagon pilots have gone through shoulder > replacement? >

> . For second to third or > second to first I've been reaching through the wheel with my left arm. This > really sucks. > I did in my left wrist in a bicycle crash few years back. A Mom on a bike path screeched at her kid as I approached...freaked the kid out and he then tossed HIS bike out in front of me, causing me to do a head plant. She goes "That's ok, my boy is fine, you didn't hit him.........." That one made my jaw drop! I came very close to mayhem on the Screeching Mommy..The kid? He was some kinda embarrassed he had got scared by mommy's scream, and made me crash....

I got back on after some time (and my bell stopped ringing) and rode on, only to find out when I reached my vanagon (content) that my wrist was actually broken and so was my $3500 DeRosa bike...I was very lucky my fractured carbon fiber fork didn't just snap as I rode the 20 miles back to the van, considering the big fractures.

Casted the wrist and began riding my other bike with the cast on....only I couldn't move the left (broken) wrist in the motion it takes to change the front chain...a 'rotation of the little finger, under'....So for almost two months I was reaching across and snagging the left brake/shift lever and pulling it inwards with my right hand...while steering with my casted broken wrist... Have you ever tried riding a bicycle with your hands crossed on the bars? Scary.

I never did find that mommy again, or I would have handed her a bill for a new bike and about $15k to the orthopedic guy..

Friday story with very little van content. Don Hanson