Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:19:16 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon Pack Mule Project A Possibility
Comments: cc: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Not sure if this has ever been tossed around on the list, but it is Vanagon related I guess. I may have the need for a 11' long plastic whitewater boat to be transported from NE Iowa to New England or close by. The buyer is leery of truck lines and would likely pay someone a fair amount of gas money to transport the boat from my house to the upper east coast. Not sure of the time frame just yet and he hasn't officially paid me for the boat either, so this is more of a feeler posting to see who's going where and who would be interested in doing courrier service. If you don't have roof racks and are traveling solo, the boat will fit inside the Vanagon pretty easily, although I''ve not tried the Westies on this, the GL's have plenty of room. The boat weighs about 40# and all the paraphernalia that goes with it will stuff inside it maybe adding another 10#. If you do have Yakimas or Thules or homemade racks with space available, that's even better.

P mail responses are fine. I even have a basic roof rack set up I could loan you(Quick N easy brackets and oak floor strips) if you would just mail me the QNE's back and use the wood for a fire or whatever. Can't speak for the potential buyer, but I'd guess it would be forth $75-100 in gas money. The boat looks like a whitewatewr kayak, but is actually a decked canoe that you kneel in and wear a skirt similar to a kayak. Fairly rare boat that my nearing 60 yr. old knees won't let me scrunch down into anymore. If you're curious as to what it looks like it's a Dagger Cascade and the ebay auction number is 370502370399 if you want detailed photos. A paddling website called www.cboaters.net has a forum strictly for folks looking for boats to be transported to and from, so this isn't a new idea. In my 30+ years of paddling all over the country, I've found that paddlers are certainly on par with the likes of this Vanagon list with regards to quality human beings.

I was hoping to maybe catch Mr. Beirel on his way back from the west coast, but I may have missed that boat.

If I shoulda waited til Friday, I guess I'll take my punishment, as the auction doesn't run out til Satudrday.

Thanks

DM&FS