Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:47:18 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Fruita/Moab trip photos--another Syncro Bro adventure
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>,
          David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com>

Well, Bob and I cooked up a trip to Fruita and Moab. Dave Vickery joined us for most of it. He has a 2wd Westy with a Peloquin TBD in his tranny. He sure proved that he can get most anywhere with that--by going out past the end of Rabbit Valley--and coming back in the muck after some rain. Pretty impressive--the TBD and Dave's driving!

Bob and I met at 18 Road in Fruita and had a nice ride-- other than my end-over tumble. Two plus week and I'm still sore in places; getting old sucks.

Dave showed up that evening and the next day we went to Loma and rode Mary's Loop. Beautiful weather! On to Rabbit Valley, and out the Kokopelli Trail road across the Utah line to the end-o-mesa camp spot where the Great Western Rim trail starts. Same place Jeff Simpson and some of us camped a year ago

The next day we rode the Great Western Rim trail. It was a perfect day! A storm was coming and the next morning it was close. A beautiful sunrise, but then showers moved in. We headed out and were surprised at how the clay sections had turned to muck so quickly. Absolutely no steering capability--the van went where it wanted--or the muck wanted! We got down the 2-3 tricky spots and onto sand which was firm and solid. Back to I-70 and on west to see the indian pictographs 3 miles N of Thompson Springs.

Then Moab to the carwash! We camped at Williams Bottom--it was very chilly and windy. The next day, we drove up the Shafer Trail and intended to bike the Intrepid Trail at Dead Horse Point State Park. Too cold and windy still, so we drove over to the Willow Springs road and found a nice camp spot. Well, after we were set up, we realized it was rat territory--they were running around under the rocks in broad daylight! Luckily, no problems that night.

The next day was getting back to "Moab-perfect," but still a little cool, so we decided on a hike--Hidden Valley, which start at the S end of Moab. A beautiful little hike. Maybe not so good on a hot day....

Dave had to head back to the Front Range. Bob and I went to Milt's to celebrate. April 5, 2001, I purchased my Syncro Westy in St Louis and headed back to Boulder--where it had lived all its life. A perfect 10th anniversary celebration.

After Milt's we decided to drive down to Mineral Bottom-- the road had just been reopened 6 days before after the reconstruction from last fall's big washout. It is pretty amazing what the road crew did in about one month!

We had a nice camp spot near the mouth of Mineral Canyon that got us down and out of the chilly wind that was still blowing.

The next morning, it was STILL too chilly and windy to ride the Intrepid Trail, so we decided to head home--Bob to SLC and me to Glenwood Springs. All in all, we found great things to do that fitted into the variable weather.

Oh, yes, the pictures: http://tinyurl.com/6yworea (Picasaweb) I apologize for what Bob and I do, but somebody has to do it. ;-)

Richard