Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Apr 2011 01:31:45 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joint Question
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

CV joint clunking is the result of lack of lubrication combined with the inner and outer sections wearing or getting divots from the forces of the pressure being applied between the parts and the balls. On the tranny side pressure is applied from the outer part to the balls to the inner which then turns the shaft. On the wheel side the shaft turns the inner which pushes on the balls pushing the outer section which then drives the wheel. So simply removing a shaft and turning the assembly around the forces will still wear the same surfaces. Taking the shafts and swapping from left to right side will wear the opposite side of the ball slots. So will removing each joint and turning it around. On automatics the shafts are different lengths so the joints will have to be moved.

On Syncros looseness in the joints will eventually cause other noise problems and due to the f our wheel interaction the joints will wear in both directions. If they are loose and sloppy and noisy replacement is the best option.

Dennis