Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:30:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice about buying a bug
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Well, it's not 'vanagon' and it's not Fridae.. and .. the Bigger Question to me is ...would anyone want to own and drive one of those .. while cute for sure ....and a Cultural Icon and just reeking of 'vw heritage and history' ... frankly...............I know this is sacrelidge , but I consider most older air-cooled VW's to be rather unsafe antiquies. This particular one ..the price at 5,500 is attractive, but if it needs an entire interior ... that's the least easy to deal with area, to me at least.

Just think of how many problems you WON'T have if you don't get it ! !

I did own a 54 Bug once upon a time , small oval rear window, working Semiphore Turn Signals, 36 hp engine .. what that would be worth now in nice shape ! Never drove it much, bought it for $ 450 in the late 70's sold for 850 a year and a half later. I was too into VW Buses, and still am, but in the vanagon varieity.

last comment .. 'restored cars' ............usually they look totally fake to me. Especially if 'too restored' and done with reproduction parts mostly. I would far rather have an unrestored cared-for older car any day ! There is even a car show class for these now - Preservation Class. There are cars that are 80 yrs old ( even 100 ) that have just been maintained, repaired, even patched appropriately, but not restored . Love that Patina of Age. You can never unrestore a car either.

now a VANAGON on the other hand.. there you've got a water-cooled engine and heater system ( in most models ) ..... they're very useful and verstile, and for their configruation, layout, and era, they are pretty safe.

how did this get on this list today !? baddy-bad-bad.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wilford" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:44 AM Subject: Advice about buying a bug