Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:21:59 -0500
From:         Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buying a Van - New Question
Comments: To: Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@verizon.net>

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@verizon.net>wrote:

> The '85 that I looked at has a pretty good tub, interior, etc. The > main problem is that the stick shift bushing is deteriorating so it's > loose at the bottom of the stick shift (under the rubber boot). As a > result, it's nearly impossible to shift - they guy says that Go Westy > has a bushing kit for about $100 - which is fine, I can replace the > bushing. Problem is there is no way to tell if the transmission is > good...when I drove it, I could get it into 1st and 2nd, but not 3rd > or 4th (he could though). There was a slight gear grind as it went > into one of the two each time - I don't thing a loose bushing would > cause this. I would think that as long as the clutch is in it should > slip in and out of gear smoothly regardless of the play in the stick > shift. I want to be able to travel this summer, don't want to be > switching out a tranny - which I figure would cost about $1000. >

You might be able to improve your estimate on that by talking to aatransaxle. If prices haven't changed since I bought my rebuilt one from them you're in the right ballpark, but there's a question as to whether the ring and pinion are good in the transmission you have. If so, its fine, if not, there's another factor in the ballpark of 50% to get another good r&p. Again, I don't speak for them, don't know how or if things might have changed, etc, but I can tell you they were awesome to deal with.

mike