Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:06:57 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Oh Lucky Day! (manual steering rack, Febi Tie Rods, some pics,
              insights)

Hi all.

After returning the new inexpensive complete rack and searching for a Lemford rack in vain, (bring money) I was a little down. So I decided to buy new complete tie rods to couple up with "best" steering rack and be done with it. My parts guy had mentioned that they had a relatively low mileage (170K km's) steering rack. I wasn't too attracted to the comment but figured at the very least, I'd feel it so I could compare the feel to what I had on hand. Well it turns out that the rack has lower miles than what I was told, and feels nice and tight. The only issue being some surface rust on non gear end of rack. Otherwise it feels nice and appears to be of low miles. Pinion gear looks nice and smooth, and rack teeth show little if any wear. On the bench, turning it, it had a similar feel to my spare rack (tighter) and with the "easier" to turn feel, L/R of wheel center. The tightness I'm feeling could be a lack of lube issue. Mine was well lubed.

So happy day! $100 for a used rack, + 2 new Febi complete tie rods ($114) and I'm good to go!

Of note, a while back I replaced my tie rod outer ends with Febi. One failed prematurely. It has a larger logo than the other. (It's possible I mixed up parts during install, but pretty sure not. Besides both feel similar in terms of wear) Logo on new Febi tie rods has same smaller logo. It's possible the smaller logo Febi has better quality boots.

Quality difference between new Febi tie rods and new rack tie rods, is noticeable. Febi steel looks better, rubber feels better, and there's less play in the locking nut. (a moot issue once tightened, but IMO, this indicates how well, or not, parts were threaded) And IIRC, the Febi rod was a larger OD in 1/2 of rod closest to the steering gear. To me, all this indicates a better build quality overall.

Another minor detail, but worth noting since I have three racks on hand. The "adjustment" nut (In quotes as I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be tampered with) seems to be in, or close to the same position on all three.

Some pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/FrontEndWork#5595926619052506802

These may give someone looking at a used rack a point of reference.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines