Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:43:43 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: popup top seals
Comments: cc: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET>

> I'm in need of a new poptop seal for my 85 Westfalia and am > wondering if anybody has knowledge of Go Westy vs Bus Depot > replacement seals. They seem quite different. > > My luggage rack seal is in ok shape and I'm not sure if i > want to replace it - why make things worse! So I wonder > which aftermarket seal matches better? > > My memory is fading but don't you have to remove the luggage > rack to replace the seal? And some have reported wind noise > afterwards?

There is a HUGE difference between our poptop seal kit and GoWesty's. Theirs is off-the-shelf generic weatherstrip that they simply cut to length. Ours is specifically designed for VW campers and made to our specifications. It was our very first in-house designed product nearly 15 years ago, and is still the best on the market, for a number of reasons:

1) It is the only kit that does not require you to glue anything to your poptop. Even the flat seal between the poptop and luggage rack just clips on.

2) Our kit seals better. The location of the poptop seal insulation bulb more closely matches that of the original insulation flap, providing better insulation and better protecting your canvas from rainwater intrusion during wiindswept rain when the top is closed.

3) The finish is smoother; closer to the stock look.

4) The luggage rack seal is designed not to impede rainwater drainage, as per the original design. The other vendors sell an additional length of poptop seal and call it luggage rack seal. Bad idea; the two seals were originally different for a reason, as they serve completely different purposes. The poptop seal is supposed to block rainwater; the luggage rack seal is actually more of a trim piece and is supposed to ALLOW rainwater to drain past it into the rain gutters.

5) The luggage rack seal can be installed without removing or loosening your luggage rack. You still may choose to remove it if you want to clean under it, but if you'd rather a quick-and-easy 10 minute installation instead you can go that route. (Sometimes loosening or removing the luggage rack creates new problems, because when you retighten it it doesn't snug down as well and you get wind noise.)

Link:

http://busdepot.com/details/canvas.jsp#seals

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT