Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Apr 2011 07:57:17 -0400
From:         John Jensen <bluesbug@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: Buying a Van - Bought a Van
Comments: To: Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@VERIZON.NET>

I put a hatch designed for a sailboat in the roof space inside the luggage carrier. It is hinged plate glass that opens to the front. I can open it up when I'm driving and get forced air into the cabin that is very cooling. A small electric fan on the dash takes over when stopped in traffic. With the hatch, I don't miss AC at all. It also brings in more air when sleeping at night. '80 Westy AirCooled (more ways than one)

John Jensen johnjensen@johnjensenartist.com http://www.johnjensenartist.com bluesbug@verizon.net

On 4/23/2011 11:34 PM, Daniel Rotblatt wrote: > Chris - > > Yeah - I love all those accessories. I'm a long-time car camper, I > have a great system worked out. I'll be making a storage box that > sits behind the passenger seat, and maybe replace the backwards seat > behind the drivers seat with one that stacks so the top half can be > taken off and leave a backless seat. I'm looking at a side awning - I > know that creates some real space at the campsite. > > My kid and my girlfriends kid are so excited that we are all sleeping > in the van tonight in the driveway. > > I was a bit freaked about the AC issue - but now that there are some > solutions I've calmed down. The van is pretty sweet. > > Dan > Los Angeles, CA > '85 Westy Weekender > > On Apr 23, 2011, at 5:27 PM, chris and/or ruth wrote: > > >> Congratulations on your new Vanagon! It's a good day. >> >> Don't get too freaked out about the things to check--they aren't >> going anywhere. Make a list so your not overwhelmed with new >> ownership. >> >> Considering the cost of restoring the stock Vanagon AC and it's >> performance, an aftermarket may be a better choice anyway. >> >> On the fun stuff like camping things; Side tents, coolers (gas >> powered and electric), swivel seats, chuck boxes/ camp kitchen, port- >> a-potty, stoves,lanterns, awnings, solar electric panels, extra >> battery, sky-light, bug-screens, etc. These will enhance your >> enjoyment so you may as well start looking. I had bought much of >> this stuff. Don't wait, have fun. I highly recommend it AND, when >> you no longer need/want it you can sell it off. There is always a >> market for VW camping accessories and you can get almost the same as >> what you paid if you keep it in good shape. >> >> My kids #1 accessory is the electric fly swatter. Ya, weird, I know. >> >> Chris C >> >> >> >> >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> >> >> Re: Buying a Van - Bought a Van >> >> Thanks everyone for all the advice - it gave me enough info to feel >> comfortable in making my decision! >> >> I found an '85 westy weekender here in the area for sale this week, >> took a look, drove it, he was asking $6K, offered $5K, he countered >> with $5.5K, and it's now sitting in my driveway! Not a speck of rust >> on it, looked under it carefully and it's got no indication of any >> accidents. The engine had new head gaskets put on two years ago (plus >> a lot of other work). The heads were rebuilt before that, and >> according to the PO the gasket was not in it's groove in the head when >> it was replaced. So he had both replaced - the work was done at a >> reputable VW mechanic in Santa Barbara. >> >> Anyway - he's put a lot of money into the engine, it runs really >> nice. Passed smog with flying colors, most of the emmisions where >> below average (which is always a good sign). Because he was putting >> money into the mechanics, he didn't put money into the interior, but >> it's still very usable. He has two kids and wanted it safe. >> >> Problems: steering wheel is upside down (or 180 degrees off), there is >> no plastic cover on the steering column (which will make it easy to >> fix the steering wheel alignment), there is a little air in the brake >> line (brake pumps up a bit - he says it's always been like that, but >> I've done brakes, cylinders, etc. before), the left signal is working >> intermittently (feels like a loose/dirty connection - brakes lights >> work fine), and a number of little things. >> >> Pros: new Go Westy canvas, clean body, workable interior, peppy (for a >> VW van), brake discs are good. >> >> Cons: no air conditioning, paint is old (that bronze metallic color, >> the clearcoat is fading and worn). >> >> Thanks again - I'll be around! >> >> Dan >> L.A. > >