Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:49:12 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poptop Tent Material; Breathability Means ....

> Means it passes vapor but not liquid water - at least in the > circles I move in. Keeps your oilies from being wetter on > the inside than the outside. Tents too I would think.

Correct.

>Sounds like the 2 extra windows would compensate > plenty for any possible extra "keeping" of heat with acrylic.

Not necessarily. If the air is chilly at night you may not want to leave your windows open when you turn in, but by morning when the sun is beating down on the camper it can be sweltering. In those situations a more breathable fabric will keep you from waking up drenched in sweat. On the other hand if most of your camping is winter / cold weather camping, an acrylic tent that traps air inside might be a better choice. Think of the clothes you wear. In cold weather a nonbreathable material (nylon, for example) will trap your body heat, which you might not mind, but you certainly wouldn't want to dress like that in warm weather.

> I would be getting a 3 window version.

They are all 3 window versions. Even the current German production is 3-window.

> In terms of durability, Sunbrella will outlast canvas by a good margin.

An OEM German poptop canvas will generally outlast your need for it. Consider that your original canvas poptop tent probably lasted, what, 20 or 25 years? If the replacement lasts as long, it will probably outlast your ownership of the Vanagon. The key is to make sure that the poptop canvas gets a chance to dry out. My family and I often camp at music festivals, rain or shine, and even if it pours all night we leave our poptop (with cotton canvas) open. Often it is necessary to close the top and drive home with the canvas still wet. However I make sure to open the poptop and let the canvas air out the first dry day we get. Under those conditions I have never had a problem and my original canvas has lasted me 30 years plus on many campers. Acrylic will be more forgiving if you just close a wet poptop and never air it out. While mildew may form, it can simply be wiped off.

> Sunbrella is used fairly extensively in the boating industry for boat covers and such.

For which it is ideally suited. Boat covers are exposed to continuous strong sunlight reflected off of the water, so fade resistance is extremely important. Breathability is not all that important for a boat cover, nor is the stiffness of the material. Different application, different needs.

> I would recommend NOT going with an acrylic canvas no matter how well made it is. > They are very stiff and miserable to work with. I have installed many Westy Tents over > the years and only one acrylic one (I learned my lesson on the first one). Very hard to > install because the material is thicker and stiffer. Then you get it installed and when > you go to pop the top up and down it is a much bigger pain.

So on the plus side, Sunbrella lasts long, won't fade, and is more forgiving if you close your poptop wet and don't subsequently air it out. On the minus side it is harder to install, harder to fold when closing the top, and doesn't breathe. Both have advantages and drawbacks; each has its supporters and detractors. Since we sell both for about the same price, you can decide which side of the fence you're on. Speaking for myself, when the time comes I will install another OEM German canvas. The quality of the original is time-proven to last decades - not just the material itself but the stitching, zippers, etc. - and the fit is absolutely dead-on. Now that it has three windows as well, I see little room for improvement.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT