Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:17:20 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poptop Tent Material; Breathability Means ....
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: all listees <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Excellent in depth info people. Much appreciated!

Ken: wondered about the install. Thanks. I can see me futzing around with staples, scaring the neighbours with my sailor talk, so finding the best "fit" involves installation too. And yes; seals are next. ;)

Ron: great info. I too have left my top down for short periods wet. In spite of the Total Fetidness of my original tent, and PO's treatment (holes gouged via poor folding) it is still not tearing further. I patched it ~ 2 years ago: http://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/poptopcanvasrepair)

Jonathan: salient point on zipper use. This could explain (age/wear tear aside) why my front zipper was first failed at the upper 1/3.

William: great insights on construction. Obviously from someone who's had lots of hands on. Re: acrylic abrasion. I didn't know this. IIRC, top up, the front of pivot portion of push bar may push against the tent.

All I care about is: reasonably water resistant, wears well. Not concerned about a fancy colour or fading.

Seems a new tent choice falls in line with propane tank re-furb or not, engine conversion choices ..... tires .....

heh heh heh.

Neil.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The side zippers are too small and like to stick if they haven't been used > for a while. One of my first tears in the top came from trying to unzip > one > of these (carefully, with two hands, one for the top and the other for the > zipper) a month or so after the top was installed. Perhaps I should be > lubricating them? Also if you leave the top up for a few days with the > side > zippers partially down and the wind blows at all etc. the zippers will > distort and you get a hard spot. I move the zippers around a lot in those > cases to avoid this and it hasn't been a big problem fortunately.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines