Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:04:27 -0700
From:         Joe Fernandez <jfride@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Vanagon rear hatch automatic lock motor re-assemble
Comments: To: Donald Pelava <1coolmollydog@gmail.com>

I've taken apart the driver and pax door ones, and the hatch is similar. There is a good writeup of how they work here: http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=314 . I found bench application of 12V helpful to see how they work, kind of neat.

<http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=314>The round gear rotates in the same direction for both lock & unlock. To answer your question I don't think there is a 'set point'. I think the only thing to watch for is ensure that the round protrusion from the large gear is not placed inside the hollow triangle (white plastic, about 10 o'clock from your pen point in pic 3). This would prevent the gear from rotating.

So I'd just put it together, plug it in, and it should get in sync with the other locks automatically. Mine did, the two times I pulled them. Of course test before reassembling door panels...I don't know about the spring, mine seemed intact so I didn't mess with it.

For the archives, my driver's door actuator wasn't working. The boot on top was falling apart and the insides were corroded. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and it works fine. I also found a used one in a Eurovan- they're the same unit, just need some splicing of wires to make the connectors match. Step 6 of this link shows how to remove the Eurovan door panels: http://members.cox.net/gti_matt/spiegelblinker/spiegelb.htm

Joe