Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:36:27 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Longer Lasting Clutch?

Hey Jake.

Yah the irony is that I was much easier on the clutch before the swap. I mean it's not a huge difference in overall power. Having fun aside though, less torque down low could mean a little more slipping to start on hills. And yes. Hills. Good point. And backing up my driveway with the crooked hedge; minor pita. Ironically I'll have to do this when I do the clutch!

In all my vehicles, this is the first time I recall doing clutch work because the disk was nearly worn. I leave my foot up at stop lights and am generally very aware of clutch use.

Chris S: I see what you mean. Likely a thicker disk would mean thinner pressure plate, or some other shift of parts dimensions and design to make room.

Don: Thanks for search suggestions. There's no gap between transmission and engine, so the TOB is the correct distance from the pressure plate.

Though I went to great lengths to cut the shaft to correct length, it did occur to me (IIRC) that since the PB hole in Jetta crank is rounded near end and ID decreases, if the input shaft length was a hair long or not slightly rounded (as is stock) even though the transmission would seat, the input shaft could be pushing up against this rounded end. Still. The clutch should "close shut" 100% (new) ...... I think.

Neil.

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines