Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Apr 2011 18:19:46 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1990 Multivan with noise in front
Comments: To: Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET>

re I definitely hear it/feel it when I am veering to the left and not to the right.

since the right side has more load on it in a left swerve ..i ( and it gets quiet, or less noisy, in a right swerve..) that tends to say the right side wheel bearings are failing. If you are sure it's in front ....then it's in front. It could be the rear also.

re the notch .. they can be 'dim' let's say. but ..very easy to find if your tech ............ remove distributor cap ..........see where rotor points, turn engine by hand until rotor points to the faint index mark on the top edge of the distributor ( about 4 o'clock position when looking straight down at the dist ) ............or to the wire that goes to # 1 cylinder.. the right forward one. then with the engine positioned on # 1 tdc to fire .. the notches will be easy to find. I use bright touch-up paint to highlight them. There are two notches, one on one part of the pulley, the other on the other part - decent picture of it in Bentley I'm pretty sure. and I imagine a smog tech doesn't think digging into taking off the distrubutor cap to figure out timing marks is part of a smog check job ..but it's super easy to do on a waterboxer engine. Most engines he sees these days don't even have a distributor. But waterboxer vanagons do .. good ole regular electronic ignition ones.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Debra Clark" <clark10006@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 5:39 PM Subject: 1990 Multivan with noise in front