Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:23:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Can't find the jack
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

all excellent points and right on. Same things I might have written.

about a wheel chock .. 'normally' just having the parking brake well set is sufficient.

one time though, I had an acting up noisy CV joint.. and I wanted to jack it up , and turn that rear wheel by hand, to listen and feel for what's going on.

you can't do that with the parking brake on of course .. which would leave you with no real way to keep the van from rolling. In that case I used a ski boot as a wheel chock ( on the side if I-80 in Nevada where cars are going by at 80mph, what fun. ) ... that made me realize, besides a 'plate' to use under the jack for soft ground .. need something for a decent wheel chock ( or even two ) .

Japanese cars, like Toyota's, used to have a fold-up steel wheel chock. You can still find them in the trunks of junkyard cars sometimes. Handy little item to have on board.

and I also keep a spare stock vanagon handy in the shop to be able to just quickly grab and jack up one corner of any van quickly, like for a quick check of something.. and for sure .. using a jack stand ..the safest thing is to lower the van onto the jackstand, but keep the jack there with a little pressure on it ...that way there are two supports ..and the jack is in position ready to use when it's time to take it off the jackstand.

stay safe, Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:38 PM Subject: Re: Can't find the jack