Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Apr 2011 02:43:33 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird, Funny,
              Electrical and Brake Light Switch Connector Failure; Questions
              and Pics
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Many inverters will have a capacitor on the input and yes they can hold a charge for a few minutes.

Dennis

Hi all.

For a while now, when working on dash, I assumed S8 fuse would blow due to an exposed portion of X and 56 spade connector(s) on headlight switch shorting to dash metal when removing cluster. In hindsight, likely not possible, but I popped the connectors out and taped them up. Today the fuse blew again jostling a + wire to radio. Huh? So I disconnect both batteries. Then, I see 7.x volts at the back of S7 Huh? (S7 used for stock interior lights, cig plug, stereo/, rear 12 outlet via aux. battery). Thought "well maybe there's some kind of lithium battery in the stereo powering back?". Nope. All that's left is the inverter. With meter connected to S7, as I held the inverter button down, the voltage would slowly drop. Before realizing this, it was driving me batty! This can't be possible! Both batteries are disconnected! ;)

Is that normal for an inverter? Hold a charge after battery disconnected?

Weird.

Questions:

spade connector 82a on front brake light switch failed (pic): * http://tinyurl.com/3d5unt3 * It had fallen out of front brake switch plug, randomly shorting to ground blowing S8.

I see some green on this male spade. Could errant brake fluid corrode it causing failure? Or, does this part typically heat up eventually failing? This looks like it may be heat damage: *http://tinyurl.com/3ooqvl9** *The rear brake light switch plug shows similar wear; *http://tinyurl.com/3zarg7p *These are where the yellow/red wire from S8 connect. * * My Canadian '81 Westy has the brake warning light wired as per P 97.37; the diesel. Is that normal for Vanagons sold in the Canadian market?

Thanks,

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engine s