Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 May 2011 21:34:18 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      break-ins was Re: Alarm choices: was Today somebody got into my
              van

I'm curious about the need for alarms. I mean, how many of us have ever actually had our vanagons broken into, in how many years of traveling in them?

Bernie said that his blue light, security signs, etc. had "worked for him" - same for the person with the snake signs. But maybe in fact none of that made any difference, and the probability of break-in is simply low.

So, have you had a break-in? In how many years of having vans? More or less than in other vehicles, if you have several?

And I'll start by replying myself. My van was broken into over Thanksgiving weekend when parked in front of a friend's house in Boulder, CO. The thief was quite clever - he completely removed my vent window (is that what it's called? - the triangular window in front of the front window on the passenger side), then unlocked the van and took his time in figuring out what to steal (a bag containing all of my jewelry, unfortunately). I was overseas for a month at the time. (Fortunately I had with me the jewelry that I actually wore / cared about.) My friend didn't even notice it had happened until a few days later when he took the van for a drive and wondered why it was so windy. And because the thief carefully removed the entire bag, my friend saw no sign that anything had been stolen - he thought the burglar must have gotten spooked and took off without anything.

Another car on the block was also broken into in the exact same way the same week. Pretty clever thief.

So one break-in in seven years. My van probably looked like a good target, since it obviously contained lots of stuff.

FWIW, my honda civic (previous vehicle) was broken into twice, both by thieves who caused minor damage and stole nothing of value - then the civic itself was stolen for parts - apparently civics are major targets of theft for parts. That in 12 years of owning it. The subsequent Prius was never broken into.

How many other actual break-ins out there? Are vans more vulnerable than other vehicles?

Joy