Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2011 09:21:47 -0700
From:         Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter One more time!!

John Muir explained many years ago in his long famous "Idiot's Guide" a procedure to check the starter and solenoid which I feel applies to many vehicles. The part I'm referring to is how to test the main battery wire to starter. Yeah, the big fat red one. Just get a set of jumper cables and bypass that big wire and put the red wire directly on the starter post that the red battery wire goes to and touch the black wire to the negative side of the battery and the other end to a good ground. If the starter don't turn, it's definately the starter. If the starter turns like it's supposed to then your big red wire needs replacing. Similarly, you can check the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid with a separate smaller wire that you can connect to the solenoid connection and touch the other end to the positive side of the battery. That will tell you if the solenoid is working or if your wire to the ignition switch is bad or the switch is bad.....

I used these procedures on my father-in-laws Jeep and replaced the needed wires and he hasn't had a starting problem since. He REALLY doesn't like dealing with electrical problems and it costs him lots of $$$$ in replaced starters, alternaters and batteries.....

Steven 91 Westy