Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 May 2011 13:04:48 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Won't start (tries) (coughs)
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

HI ..yes, I saw that post. was waiting to see what people might say.

it's not very sophisiticated, but I put newspaper on the floor of the van .. then spary up in there, rather blindly , with a good synthetic spray grease.

I might do that several times.. I spray, then operate pedals, mainly the clutch pedal , the brake pedal doesn't really suffer from this particular weakenss the clutch pedal has. Mainly you want to get that clevis pin spot lubed.. it's way up at the top of clutch pedal itself, right next to where it pivots a the top. They could not have hidden this metal-to-metal pivot point better if they really tried.. or maybe they did do that funky-ly on purpose. Grease it once at the factory .. that's good for 20 + years ? Hardly. Spray copiously as best you can .. holding the clutch pedal down while you do it slightly moves 'the spot' into position a little better to reach.

no need to remove the whole dash. the pedal assembly will come out with the whole dash installed even. but it's a tedious job. if you remove the master cylinder, and then the booster, you will be looking right at 'the spot' that wears.. but that's a lot of work too.

Good spary lube 'creeps' a little too. SeaFoam ..a great brand in fuel treament stuff, has a spray lube called 'deep creep' .. though I am not finding that they spary that well. I want to be able to soak any pivot point from a foot or two away if I have to. And do it several times.

there was one sliding door on an 82 diesel westy that wouldn't close ..the rear pivot on the arm had never been lubed. It didn't respond to the first shot of lube .. or the first 25 shots of spray lube ...but it did repsond to spaying it 4 times a day for two weeks .. then it was as good as new ...the point being good lube finds its way right into the metal itself, even, with enough applications in difficult cases.

I was just noticing that the fresh air vents ( with moving parts in them ) are never lubed. I use spray silicone lube on plastic parts like that.

I think it was a long skinny tube to apply lube in exactly the right spot ...I think that might be what I read about allistair and his method.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:54 AM Subject: Re: Won't start (tries) (coughs)