Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2011 13:21:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone have experience with Vanaru turnkey/Bostig engine
              swaps?
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

Apples and oranges. you could choose one because the price is attractive, Ford engines are cheap, plentiful, and durable and as I understand it everything is already done for you, pretty bolt-in. I'd check about oil pan ground clearance in the latest version. I saw one locally, 2WD ... the cleanrance from pan to ground was one fisti's worth ...no joking, like 5 inches. and .... if that low spot was between the rear wheels, no so bad..but it's within the departure angle for the rear of the van ..means it's sticking down in a more vulnerable area. they may have that fixed now ..or the one I saw was poorly done ...but you might check into that aspect .

the other one.. you have an engine that matches the orignal concept ...oppossed four cylinder aluminum engine. Hopefully those guys run their drop-in-ready to go soobie engines. If they do do that ....that increases your chances of it working from the get-go.

hard to choose .. they both have merit. be interesting to see what people say. my hunch .....if someone says 'I just want it to drop in, not a lot of issues, and work reliably and for a long time without much attention .......the ford might be more 'forget-about-it-and-drive-it' . long term. fwiw .. Ford is the american car company that I disprespect the least. They're doing real well actually, not that I would particularily.want to go to a Ford dealership for a sensor say. At my subaru-volvo dealer I feel right at home. I had a reason to go to a chevy dealer ....seemed like all good ole boys to me there. One advantage the ford conversion has .. there's only one version, where with subaur conversions there are dozens of versions, many engines, and they change from year to year somewhat. . The Zetec conversion comes with 'factory support' by the guys who built the kit .. and you don't get that too much with subaru conversions. The closest there is to that with subaru engines is the California legal 90 to 94 EJ22 engine .. by Kennedy Engineered Products ..they sell the adapter parts, headers, wiring diagram etc.. but I don't know if you can call them up and talk to them about the wire on pin C28 of the ECU, probably not. I would expect the Zetec conversion is more 'consistant' long term. OTH, subaru conversions are very rewarding to drive. ( I havn't driven a Zetec so can't conmment on how they drive, I hear they go well ) And I think the Ford block isn't very likely to blow in any way ever, and if it does ..those engines are 600 bucks at the most in a junkyard I hear.

scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Hoffman" <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:04 PM Subject: Anyone have experience with Vanaru turnkey/Bostig engine swaps?