Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 May 2011 14:35:18 -0600
From:         Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Brake Job Front and Back 85 2wd vanagon. Wheel bearing
              question.
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

On May 5, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:

> lol, > I recommend avoiding buying parts in advance, > but rather take things apart, find out *exactly* what you need, then get > those. > then do the work.

But if the vehicle has to sit while you order the parts that you "exactly" need, you could be out of commission for who knows how long? & then you would not end up w/ a stash of extra parts that lay around until you forget you have them, & order new ones the next time?

> > the front wheel bearings are not likely to need replacing. > I suppose the worst that could happen if you get them in advance, assuming > they provide you with the right ones........is that you won't need them, and > then you'll return them. > > Personally, I do not like to make someone get out the parts, do the > paperwork......... > for my convenience, so I'll have them in case I need them....... > then I return the parts. > That's a complete waste of a parts person's time.. > Parts people even have a term for this .....they even sometimes jokingly say > 'it's not a new parts rental service' .

are the parts guys paid by commission or by the hour? > > ................................... > here's another 'rule' ..learned from experience.. > *as soon as you get the parts* .........*check that they are the right ones, > that they match.* > > it is guaranteed that if you wait until Sunday afternoon to do the work, and > you didn't make sure you really truly had the correct matching parts. ...one > of them will be wrong........ > so always check immediately, at the very first opportunity, that the parts > you got are the right ones. > .......................................... I have a 63 Doka that was a transitional year in front end parts, brakes, etc. There are 3 different possibilities for the correct king pins & bushings, etc. on my model. I cannot get the correct rebuilt kingpins w/o knowing which version I have, so I will have to disassemble them & send to Wolfgang in CA to have them replace w/ the correct ones or somehow figure which ones I have & tell them to send those. Meanwhile the doka is sitting there for weeks w/o a rolling front end.

Can I have it sit in your shop while we are waiting for the exact parts? LOL!

YMMV,

Mr. BZ-so many parts, so few repairs >