Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 May 2011 11:51:15 -0500
From:         James Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: My Poptop Front Screen DIY Replacement (pics)
Comments: To: "mcneely4@COX.NET" <mcneely4@COX.NET>

I sewed in a new zipper over the winter. There was nothing wrong with my screen, but the fibers of the cotton super base had turned to dust. I ordered a custom zipper from zippersource.com (very good and informative website, bet don't expect your order to arrive quickly... At least they tell you that).

I used a stitch removal tool to take the stitching out of what was left of my zipper and I used a razor blade as well and then using a thimble and heavy-duty thread and an upholstery needle I went to work. I used pins to hold the zipper in place on both sides all the way around. I removed the pins as I got near them with the sewing needle. I kept the zipper open just ahead of the sewing so that I could reach inside and outside of the canvas as I worked from a short stepladder with the top pop in the open position. I made two passes on each side of the zipper for a total of four passes. I'm very pleased with the results and glad it's over.

Jim