Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2011 15:51:23 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Repair Arm Rest Stop?

Back in March, I wrote: >My '84 Westy has the stock seats. I leaned a little too hard on one >of the armrests. I heard a crack, and now the armrest won't stay >horizontal. It just continues to rotate down past the seat bottom. > >Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to repair the stop? I've >got spare seats I can cannibalize. How do you disassemble the armrest?

Turns out I lied. My front seats are from a later model. They have adjustable arm rests.

So that misled Ed Duntz, who replied: >I think the earlier, shorter, non-adjustable ones are easier to deal with >than the later ones. On yours, you pop the plastic cap off the near end (if >you still have it) and use an allen wrench to unscrew the bolt that holds it >on. Then it will slide off, I believe. I haven't fooled around with them too >much, but from what I remember, you can see "the works" when you look inside >and see what's wrong.

I have a pair of the original seats in storage, the ones with NON-adjustable arm rests. Yes, they have a plug on the outside of the arm rest over the allen bolt at the pivot point. I didn't try to take those apart.

I also misled JordanVw@AOL.COM, who replied: >one of the allen bolts broke. just remove the armrest and replace the >bolt.

Yeah, that sounds like the older seats.

The seats currently in my camper don't have that plug over an allen head at the pivot point. The upholstery is continuous there.

I screwed with it a bit and soon found a large roll pin was floating around loose between the arm rest and the seat back near the pivot point.

With the roll pin out, I was able to pull the arm rest off the pivot post attached to the seat back. I could see the roll pin is supposed to secure the tube on the arm rest to that pivot post.

I still couldn't see any mechanism for the adjustable stop, but I thought I'd just put it back together and see what happened.

I put the arm rest back on the pivot post and lined up the holes for the roll pin. It's pretty hard to retract the upholstery enough to see the holes once the arm rest is on. It's even harder to maneuver the roll pin into the holes.

But within a few minutes, I had the roll pin started. I drove it in the rest of the way with a few taps on a drift.

And now the stops work correctly! There's no mechanism on the seat back or its pivot post, so there must be something inside the arm rest. But I sure couldn't figure it out. Heck, I couldn't even rotate the tube on the arm rest, and now that tube is fixed to the pivot post, so I can't see where the pivot comes from. I guess I didn't try hard enough to rotate it.

Anyway, it's fixed, for now. We'll see whether the roll pin stays in place.