Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 May 2011 22:45:30 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Steering Question
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

Most of that resistance is due to the cylinder fighting the valving. Let the oil out and it will almost become a manual rack.

Now for those that just cut the belt and not use the power steering has anyone figured out how the steering knows how to change the fluid direction as you turn the wheel? It is all done in the valve assembly just above the rack pinion. There is a small shaft that twists slightly as you turn the wheel which changes the relationship of the inner/outer parts thus changing fluid flow and direction. Without the power assist this twisting shaft is what is now steering your vehicle.

Dennis