Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 May 2011 12:03:23 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lockers -- how hard to install LLSD?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

re I wonder if the shift points (nomenclature?) can be changed at the same time. As far as I am concerned, the transmission upshifts too early when accelerating. Tends to bog a bit.

This is an adjustment on the van. the rod .. that goes to the throttle body .. ever notice it's threaded ? the length of that rod affects when the shift points occur.

personally..... I like them set up so they occur rather early ..for easy going driving. when I want more oomph .. I shift manually .. that means 2nd gear between say 25 and 55.

I never try to get them to kick-down with the gas pedal. I always and only downshift manuallly.

few vanagon automatic drivers know that the shift lever is desinged so you can quickly slap-shift from 3rd down to 2nd. There's an interlock.. if you are at say 50 in 3rd and wish you had 4,000 rpm rather than 2,600 where there's little power, you just tap the shifter down to 2nd. it won't go into 1st unless you hold in the button on the side of the shifter. It is designed that way intentionlly for fast down shifts.

on the upshif back up, 2nd to 3rd...on tha on you have to move the lever more carefully , it will to into nuetral past 3rd .. but not on the downshift, just tap that mutha quicly from 3rd to 2nd.

when set up to shift up early , but you are doing manual shifting .. then you have full control of when it upshifts.. it will be early at light throttle.. just holding more throttle pedal while accelerating will keep it from upshifting too soon. and so does manual shifting.

I 'never' just put it in D ......never. Drive in 2nd until you want 3rd.

ALL automatics are 'intereracive' if you understand how they work .. and the relationship between the lever on the side of the trans, and the throttle body .. which affects 'control pressure' in the trans .......is determined by the length of that level .... and it is adjustable.

finding someone clever enough to adjust that .. might be another issue. It's not that hard either.

no kidding .. there are people driving vanagons that do not know about all their features. Some people don't know there's a funnel in the oil fillter tube. Some people don't know about the heater valve under the back seat. or how to use and understand the dash heater controls. or even how to use the stock jack, believe it or not, in some cases. Many vans have never had their spare tire checked in seriously ..........20 years. Never once checked that it's good and has suffecient air pressure in it. Or to check the warning lights each time the van is started.

The same is true about the manual shifting of the auto trans.. it's in the owner's manual.

the adjustment of that rod .. I just know how to adjust it so it will shift when I want, and how to drive it so I control when it shifts. They're fun that way, when understood, and serviced, and adjusted right.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 6:32 PM Subject: Re: Lockers -- how hard to install LLSD?