Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 May 2011 13:55:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: end play measurement
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

good point. different flywheel.. need to check end play to go with that one.

here's another trick .. while doing the end play, and before putting in the rear main seal, put too many shims in on purpose, so the flywheel is locked to the rear main bearing. then try turning the flywheel a little by hand. if it turns say, 1/2 inch at the outer teeth .. that is the rear main bearing moving where it's loose in the case. Not a good thing. The rear main bearing should be firmly grabbed by the case.

I just rejected a 1.9 bottem end as a cadidate for a full top end re-do , since the rear main brg was loose in the case. also .. there is a 'gotcha' on 2.1's .. if you are not careful going together .. a shim or part can slip out of place..and jam things up .

other tricks.. the o-ring on the crank side of the flywheel must be in place. and the flywheel bolt threads must have lock-tite on them. Oil can migrate up the treads if here isn't a sealer on them.

oh ...the felt dust seal for the pilot bearing. there is a metal ring that goes in the flywheel, that keeps that felt seal in place. Apparently, shops remove that metal ring to resurface the flywheel. then don't put the ring back, then the shop tech doesn't notice that , and then it gets no felt clutch dust seal for the pilot bearing. then the pilot bearing fails in about two years from clutch dust on the rollers. I've seen that about a hundred times. Exagerating only slighlty ..it is even rare to find a flywheel with that metal ring still in it. ( there is also a small mod you can do to the flywheel so it can work with a diesel vanagon pilot bearing which has a small lip type seal built into it ...like waterboxers could have/should have had all along. )

and I can't say enough about thorough lubrication of all the moving and sliding spots on the clutch release mechanism in the bell housing. I lube about 10 spots there ..make sure the cross shaft pivots smoothly etc.. Almost all the clutches I see appear to have been put together very dry with minimal lubrication on all the pivots points etc. As I like to say ..it's not in the parts, it's in the workmanship.

I see more mistakes and incorrectly done things on clutches than on any other vanagon repair. I see the pressure plate dowel pins left out for goshakes .. There is a big difference bwtween a clutch that is 'just installed' and will work for a while and one that has been meticulously fussed over and thought about carefully in every detail of the installation.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike" <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:50 PM Subject: Re: end play measurement