Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 May 2011 16:08:05 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Front end suspension

So I finally got a new tire and I took Gertie ('85 1.9) in to have an allignment done. They couldn't do it - said I need upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints. The shops price parts and labor was almost $800 - not saying that isn't fair (I'd bet it is) but I can't swing that.

I sourced the parts and included lower ball joints and tie rod ends for less than $200 from our vendors. So the question is having never done this work myself, what does the esteemed list say for a project like this as a DIY project? Should I even try it? I could find myself some experienced help too.

I know those upper control arm bushings need to be spot welded - that I'd need someone else for anyway.

What other pit falls or hassles am I looking at?

The guy at the shop said I might consider replacing the long mounting bots as well. What are your thoughts on that? Anyone have a part number or a source for those?

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus