Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 May 2011 19:03:51 -0400
From:         John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front end suspension
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Jeff,

Here's my writeup on the upper control arm bushes. http://www.vanagonauts.com/Upper-Control-Arm-Bushing-R&R223.htm

I did this about 4 yrs ago using Meyle bushings. I just re-did them using T3 Technique (Loogy on theSamba) polyuretane.. Those bushings are sweet!! They are a 3 piece deal with stainless sleeves. You can dissemble them to re-lube if you need to. Nice!

I didn't tack my Meyles and they appear to have not moved in the 4 years. The fit is really tight and you will have to press the old ones out of te arm. Once the arms are off, you can find a shop with a press. Good time to paint t arms too.

I agree with Scott. the long bolts don't seem to wear much. Same for the eccentric washers.The only reason to replace them is if they are so rusted in place that you have to cut them to get them out.

Do use a good waterproof grease and pack it into the bolt tube when you re-assemble. The motorcycle guys use Bel-Rey.and the Boat guys use Corrosion Block blue grease. Good anti washout properties.

John Meeks '91 Vanagon MV Northern Michigan

Vanagon Rescue Squad www.vanagonauts.com