Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 May 2011 18:23:52 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front end suspension
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

you can ask of course.. but no professional shop really likes that very much. They are cut out of any profit on the parts is one issue.

also .. sure, I'll install parts a customer supplies .. and ......it shifts my responsibility some.

when I do the diagnosis, make recommendations, we decide on what all to do .. then I am responsible for everything about the job ...that it's successful, that it produces the desired result etc. I a part I supply happens to bad somehow, I'm responsible for that too, and will correct that as needed.

However...if they supply the part ...and there's a problem with it .. I am responsible to install it correctly. It would not be my responsibility to do the work over again, replacing their faulty part for free.

Quite often I want them to supply the part .. like say my machine shop and wrist pin bushings .. I want them to be fully responsible that the work they do, and the part they supply is all good.

so sure ...but many shops would resent that. It would not be unheard of for them do sloppier work than usual if they felt talked into installing the customer's own parts. Or sell you something else you perhaps did not really need.

as for getting it done right .. if it's not something your comfortable doing yourself, of course ..hire whoever you think is best.. and .. the old rule still applies.. "If you want something done right, do it yourself.'

the dumb and wrong things front end and tires stores do sometimes... stuff I've seen........................... don't even get me started.

I like that line................"if you ask them to install parts you supply, they might do sloppier work than usual," ( just to get even. )

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@Q.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 3:29 PM Subject: Re: Front end suspension