Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2011 08:32:42 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      annoying rattle/clunking noise solved

For over a month i have had this annoying and sometimes expensive sounding rattle from the rear end of van, mostly when accelerating (or going up hill) in 3rd and 4th. David B. noticed it too when we were on our V. Island trip. I had nightmares of transmission problems, or engine internals...

I found out what it was yesterday, it was the horizontal exh. pipe that runs across, behind engine, just in front of the muffler. I had bashed it a bit on a logging road trip and it was bent just enough to hit the muffler mounting brackets under just the right conditions. I pried it away from brackets and the noise has gone.

Sometimes you get lucky :)

alistair