Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 May 2011 12:44:23 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: new Washington State public lands fees
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

---- Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > RE: New Washington Public Lands Fees > > I agree that the $30 annual fee is not that outrageous especially for those > that camp and travel year round. But the real problem is going to be the > extent of where the fees apply. Washington is a patchwork of State, Federal > and local jurisdiction. 90% of the average families are not going to know > whether or not they are parking/camping in a bunch of areas that this will > apply to but will not be posted. A few years back Washington started > charging a $5.00 parking fee at all the State Parks parking areas, even if > only stopping for five minutes to admire the view. One particularly nasty > spot, a big tourist attraction, was the small parking lot at Deception > Pass. Pull in to take a look: $5.00. And it was mostly ignored. But > started causing a real stink when the visiting relatives of a member of the > Legislature stopped there and got a ticket within a minute or so of parking, > hadn't even had a chance to walk to the other end of the lot and pay. About > two years ago Washington ended that whole program because it was so > offensive. And there had also been a lot of national online chatter about > it warning travelers to avoid State Park parking lots. > Let's wait and see what kind of stink starts when they start writing $99 > tickets for mom and pop and the kids when they just want to have a picnic at > the local park.

Well, I hope the fees will be well publicized and that areas they apply to will have signs advising users. The references you provided links for stated that parking for 30 minutes or less was exempted, so the casual stop/look/leave crowd would not have to pay. And, I did not see anything, including on the Washington State site that Casey provided a link for, about it applying to non-motorized entry. So, my daughter and her family can continue to bicycle and walk to Riverside State Park in Spokane without paying, evidently, as can we when we visit them. And, shuttlers can drop off canoeists and kayakers, and depart without having to pay, if they can unload in thirty minutes. I think that some state boating access sites do charge for launch already, which is ok, too.

Actually looks like a satisfactory program, in a state that is facing severe budget problems. Higher education is being cut, public education is being cut, and so on. Got to find a way to pay the bills in tough economic times. Fees for discretionary use of public facilities seem like one reasonable way to go. I'll be glad to pony up my $30 when I'm up there. And maybe, since I'll be a short term visitor, my money will go a little further.

mcneely