Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2011 09:50:23 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Horn Ring Replacement - Tips and Tricks

I recently had to change the horn ring on my van because the horn would blow seemingly just because it wanted to. Replacement should have been pretty straight forward, but I ran into an unusual snag.

Changing out the horn ring on the Vanagon is pretty straight forward. Tools required are socket wrench for the nut holding the wheel onto the shaft, pair of duckbill or needle-nose pliers, a flat tip punch, a very fine (600) grit sandpaper and dielectric grease.

I began by pulling the horn button from the center of the wheel. The button is held in place by two tabs - one on either side. Just using my fingers I was able to work the horn button free by working one side then the other, moving the button up and out of the slots for the tab. Once the button was loose, I just let it hand by the wires until I could remove the wheel.

Wheel removal was easy. Leaving the wheel in the locked position, I just backed off the nut holding the wheel. I noted the wheel and the shaft have an alignment mark so things go back together exactly right. But if this mark is missing, one might make sure to make an alignment mark before pulling the wheel. The shaft is splined, as is the wheel, so it's a tight and perfect fit.

The inside back of the wheel hub is tapered to a matching reverse taper on the shaft. With the splines, there couldn't be a better fit.

After removing the nut, wiggling the wheel at top and bottom loosened it easily and it came right off. With the wheel removed I saw immediately that that the brass finger that contacts the horn ring was worn badly and needed repair. I did that by reshaping the tip with a fine file and bending the finger out a bit to make contact. I ent the very end also so thee was a rounded shoulder making contact rather than a sharp edge. Alittle rubbing with the 600 grit paper removed any oxides and made for a good metal to metal contact with the new horn ring.

There was one wire connecting the horn ring to a tab on the horn button. It's a bit dificult to reach so I very carefully removed it with needle nose plies. Great caution is needed in removal because the tab to which the wire attaches is a bit fragile. Break one off and it's the devil to pay. Most likely the horn button would have to be replaced - IF you can find one.

The horn ring has a plastic locking tab that fits into a hole in the wheel hub. I used the blunt tip punch to punch the tab out and removed the ring from the back of the wheel. It was worn completely out, with shreds sticking out. These little pieces were randomly grounding making the horn blow as I steered the van and moved the wheel.

I replaced the horn ring with a brand new genuine OEM factory VW part with the VW part number on it. Then, when I reassembled the whole thing, the horn blew immediately upon turning on the ignition. The fun began!!!

I futzed with it for several days off an on, and could not see any problems. I did th work exactly by Bentley. But everytime I torqued that wheel nut to spec - the horn would blow. I was missing somthing

The clearance between the column switches and the back of the horn ring are very close - like maybe 1/8 inch - under normal conditions. But in my case when the wheel nut was at torque spec, the clearnce was closed and the horn would blow. It was like a washer or shim or something was missing allowing that gap to close. Yet, all the parts were there and accounted for. A watchmaker friend stopped by and together we looked at the two horn rings side by side. I didn't see any differences. He looked at them, picked the up and turned them over and over, then said "I see the problem".

Turns out that there is a shoulder on the old horn ring that serves as a washer. It's about 1/16th to 3/32nd inches thick. The new horn ring didn't have the shoulder at all. It was completely missing. The solution? I removed the brass from the new horn ring, and put it on the old horn ring with the shoulder spacer, dabbed so dielectric grease on the brass and reinstalled the entire thing. It worked perfect. Horn now functions as it should.

So, be aware of this new parts problem if you are doing horn work. Be careful not to damage the old horn ring when taking it out. You may want to follow my procedure if you find yourself with the horn ring without the shoulder.

It would appear that VW made this change so that the horn ring might fit other vehicles. Sort of "One size fits all" but of course that really never works out. There is always a glitch somewhere.

John

-- John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com