Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2011 11:00:06 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Electrical Failures

My '88GL manual tranny van seems intent on shutting itself down. I have the following electrical issues.

Front Heater Blower Fan - inop Rear Heater Blower Fan - inop Wipers - Front and Rear - inop Windshield Spray Pumps - inop Cruise Control - inop Tachometer - inop Horn - inop - this one is repaired.

The ignition switch is new, and I have power to the "X" circuit when in the "on" position. I have headlights, and can feel the Load Reduction Relay when the ignition switch is turned on. All connectors have been pulled from the ground stars and the blades on the stars cleaned. The female connectors on the ends of the wires at the grounds were removed and replaced several times to ensure good metal to metal contact.

David Beirel has been helping me some with tracing out and testing the circuits some, but we haven't gotten there yet. I am certainly open to any other discussion about all this, and particularly the wipers issue. Can't safely drive anywhere without giving careful consideration as to where there might be rainy weather. My new Rain-X will help, but wipers are a must!!!

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions. Any references to websites with write-ups about all this are particularly appreciated.

BTW, the one thing I miss in the Bentley is a written description as to how systems and circuits work. Sometimes just looking at a diagram is bloody difficult.

Thanks,

John

-- John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com