Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 May 2011 20:51:21 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      1981 Westy Slider Door Light Install Pics & Scintillating
              Comments.

Did things the way I did as I had parts on hand and some time. It's not rocket surgery, but figured some others would find this a useful upgrade.

pics and rambling text: https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/InstallSliderDoorLight1981Westfalia?authkey=Gv1sRgCPiz3ZuLkpK0xAE#

I plan on putting an LED festoon in as the "new" incandescent is just sucky compared to my driver side LED festoon.

Included are some insights to the Delta 6 kitchen light R&R. It may be that the kitchen light for the early MY's is not be the same on US and Canadian Westys, but the wiring may be. Likely there was a method to the madness, but I found it odd that there were two sets of connectors between the wires from driver side dome light to kitchen light. Maybe the Westy outfitter had to cut the stock wires to slider switch, hence the added set of connectors.

I used corrugated wire cover to protect the wires through hole near new light. Maybe a grommet is required, but since the wire is covered, maybe not. It's held firmly in place, and wrapped with an added layer of tape.

Some of those fancy 3M sticky LED's that Rocket J. Squirrel installed might be nice mid point above slider. Not sure what one would do to protect the wires to them though. If'n that's even required.

One of the pics shows the copper tube I used to protect the new power supply wire to ciggy socket in spice rack. Using copper may not be the right thing. In hindsight, corrugated cover may have been sufficient. At the time though all I could see was stuff bangin' into it so used the copper tube instead. IMO it still seems wise to protect the wire well. (there are now also custom metal plates made for each side of the ciggy lighter to protect the exposed wires.)

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines