Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 May 2011 11:21:22 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water tank
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Yes, Alistair, it is mildly basic in pH response. But, of course you are quite familiar with the amphoteric disassociation reaction of sodium bicarbonate in water, and the reaction of that solution with salts. We don't need to get overly technical on the list, but you know what I am speaking about, and of course could write the equations in your sleep. A strongly basic solution will have no effect on lime or other basic salts, so far as dissolving them. An amphoteric solution will. In using sodium bicarbonate, it is the acidic ions present in the solution that dissolve the basic salts. At least that's how I understand it. Please correct me if I am wrong. But the list isn't interested in all this, so we should take the discussion private or drop it, whatever you prefer. It may be beyond my memory of chemistry anyway. mcneely

---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Yeah, I wondered too about folk using coke as a rust remover. More > effective to get some Naval Jelly as a phosphoric acid source. > > btw, sodium bicarb. (baking soda) will makes a mildly alkaline, not > acidic, solution. > > For safe (ie not using muriatic acid), de-liming, that CLR stuff is > pretty good. Its a mix of a few mild organic acids, and removes rust > stains too (but does not do the latter as well as the more toxic > oxalic acid). > > > alistair > > > On 17-May-11, at 8:47 AM, mcneely4@COX.NET wrote: > > > Thanks Alistair. I should have remembered that, but haven't looked > > at a soft drink label in a while. Seems odd to me that folks would > > use a sugared drink for things like cleaning battery terminals and > > brackets, but I know people who do. Why not just use something that > > is less messy? Like a little baking soda in water, which is plenty > > acidic for the purpose. Deliming is another matter, the lime > > requires a more acidic material. mcneely > > > > ---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > >> the carbonic acid produced as a result of carbonation of the soda > >> pales in comparison to the phosphoric acid added to coke. There might > >> be some citric added to coke, but the acid is mostly phosphoric. > >> > >> alistair > >> > >> On 17-May-11, at 6:31 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >> > >>> ---- BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>>> Please get it right. Not Coke. > >>>> > >>>> Diet Coke with Lime. Whatever chemical they are using to mimic > >>>> lime, I'm addicted to it. Makes my water taste great. Of course my > >>>> water comes in 12oz. cans with poptabs. > >>> > >>> So far as the coke (whatever additional flavors) being a good > >>> solvent (for lime of the hard variety for that matter ;-) ), so > >>> would any other soft drink be. The carbonation is acidic, of > >>> course, plus they use citric acid (says on the label, "for > >>> tartness"). For all I know (I don't drink sodas, so don't have any > >>> handy to check) there is extra citric acid in the citrus flavors > >>> compared to regular. > >>> > >>> Hi Jeff. enjoy. > >>> > >>> mcneely > >> > > > > -- > > David McNeely >

-- David McNeely