Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 May 2011 14:45:17 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: A mention in the Wall Street Journal, though the site is wrong
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

Not an error at all, unless the author meant us but substituted the address. here is the site, going strong, with numerous current posts:

http://www.westfalia.org/

I have visited it before (a good long while back), never joined, but found useful information about a couple of things.

mcneely

---- J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > Not really an error, there is a Westfalia.org, or at least there was, I haven't been there in years, I guess it is still around. It was the first VW bus site I found on the net back in 1998. It was pretty good at one time, got taken over by a guy who called himself "Capt. Mike" who was kind of a  pain of a moderator. Like a lot of sites, it was divided up into specific forums, post a question in the wrong one and Capt. Mike was quick to point out your error.      Jeff > > > > Jeff Stewart > > > ----- "Tom Young" <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > From today's WSJ: > ----------------------------- > Q: My daughter graduates from college in two weeks. Her plan is to purchase a VW Westfalia and tour the country before entering graduate school next year. What can you say about the dependability of these vehicles? > > -Michael Miraglia, Trumbull, Conn. > A: Anyone who says the spirit of adventure is dead should chat with your daughter. Then you should have a heart-to-heart chat with her about the ups and downs of traveling long distances in a quirky old van. > > The Westfalia Volkswagen vans, which are specially outfitted for camping road trips, are classics that generally do their job well. But remember that whatever model year vehicle she is talking about will be at least 10 to 20 years old. Such vehicles have to be looked after closely and can be extremely needy compared with modern vehicles. > > Of course, the trip will be especially memorable and may have more character-building potential in the vintage Volkswagen. If your daughter is truly game, she should find a good mechanic who knows the Westfalia Volkswagen vehicle well and can get it ready for the long trip. She should also link up with the big owner's group at www.westfalia.org > > ----------------------------- > > I've written the author of the article to alert him of the site reference error. > > > > Tom Young

-- David McNeely