Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 May 2011 23:20:21 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water tank
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

I usually fill my tank with the tasty water I find at many campgrounds (especially in the PacNW) and bring it home for drinking/coffee. Phoenix water sucks, though I gotta admit, it's better than it used to be.

I usually put a few gallons of emergency water (NEVER drive across the southwestern deserts without emergency water!) in the tank before leaving on a trip, then dump it and refill when I find better.

Karl Wolz

_____

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> I trust the Westy container/hoses, but there are times when I fill it > up at a gas station. Asking the clerk or attendant if the water is > potable (or "drinkable") usually nets a shrug for a response. > > If I'm not certain of the source, I do my best not to consume it > unless boiled. So as a habit, I don't drink it. (though as someone > kindly pointed out via p-mail, even brushing your teeth with bad water > can lead to trouble) > > Neil. > > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> > wrote: > > > At 01:26 AM 5/18/2011, neil n wrote: > > >> That said, if I'm low on drinking water, tank water > >> is boiled for coffee or tea. > > > > Why? The Westy water tank is a big polyethylene bottle. You buy milk in > > the supermarket in a big polyethylene bottle (you buy little bottles of > > water in PETE bottles that aren't nearly so chemically > > benign, according to stuff I've heard on PBS lately). It uses > food-grade > > hoses to the faucet. It's nicely sealed up. Sanitize it occasionally, > put > > clean water in it, it will stay clean for a long time. >

You would not be happy campers in Mexico, if you like 100% Certified pure water..only. Heck, it is even difficult to find a place that even has a hose. Ever try to fill your Westie tank from a 5 gallon water bottle?...me neither. Drinking only beer is a good safe bet, but brushing your teeth with it..or putting it on your Wheaties...not so good.

What I do is I try to leave my tank about 1/4 full so it sloshes around, inhibiting fungus growth because I drive my van daily. Then when I plan on camping or if I am going to need the water capacity...I drain the old stale water out and refill with a dilute clorox mix and drive around for a day. Drain that and re-fill. Drive another day,drain and fill and everything is good for a while. I do drink my Van water, but after a week or so, I prefer to bring milk jugs of fresh well water from home along for my main drinking source...

_____