Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 May 2011 14:54:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 L Head Leaks
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

all right John.. you are using Dexcool. I use it, good stuff.

I suggest..if you can without too much hassle ...remove the lower tin on the left side so you can eyeball the outer rubber water gasket. If it's an external leak and it's 'head gasket' that's where it usually is.

you have also ....in that area, the oil cooler hoses ......those split once in a while. there is a hose off the side of the head on a 2.1 - the one that goes up to the bleed rail .. connects sort of above the coil and a little aft. I have never seen one of those hoses fail though , or rarely.

but ...plastic thermostat housing . seen loots of those melt and dissolve and just 'fail'.

the hose that goes over the bell housing.. particularly on an automatic trans van .. those get soft and fail...being exposed to heat coming off the torque converter.. and also oil fumes from there a little too.

shouldn't be real hard to find - your leak, if that's what is going on.

Getting the lower tin off can be difficult if the exhaust nuts/bolls bolt at the top of the tin piece don't cooperate. I sometimes use only one of the upper mounting tabs on the left side tin - since sometimes you want to get that tin off to get at the oil pressure sender under there.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:11 PM Subject: Re: 2.1 L Head Leaks