Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2011 11:51:40 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Modified Governor Test Report [addendum]
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Hi Loren,

I dunno about "we," but my gripe with the stock shift points is that I find them to be too low for my taste. First, I have a fused ankle so I can't mash the pedal down easily to use the kick-down. Second, when the stock transmission shifted at 2600 rpm from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, it's boggy, esp. when pulling away from a stop sign or into traffic. In such cases I got into the habit of shifting by hand, but now it upshifts at about 3200 rpm which is close to what I do by hand anyway. And third, when I slide my butt forward in the seat to access kickdown when getting up to freeway speed, the stock governor would not let the engine go above about 3800 - 4000 rpm before upshifting, and redline for the engine is closer to 5200 rpm; after the mod it gets up to around 4600 - 4800 rpm. Again, this is what I'd do by hand.

The new governor does not always shift much higher than the stock one: with light pedal pressure, it upshifts around 2800 rpm anyway.

None of this answers your question, whether I am causing damage or not. But heck, I typically upshifted my old 71 1600dp VW bay window at 3500 to 3800 rpm when I was wanting to get up to speed. So I don't think I'm doing this somewhat more robust engine any harm. As for wear and tear on the transaxle? I'm going over to GTA right now and I'll ask Ken.

-- RJS