Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2011 12:20:26 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: TDI bad camshaft
Comments: To: VWBrain@AOL.COM

A freind of mine paid about $ 150 for an AHU camshaft, in the aftermarket, not a dealer. Lifters run from 10 dollars to a bit more .........should have new ones to go with a new cam usually.

I personally wouldn't put it in a vanagon. They cost too much to operate long term, or at least a large portion of the time.

I won't go all nutty here .. but really .. what I like is an engine that is likely to go without much going wrong with for at least 150,000 miles.. even more. Engines that are so fundamentally robust ..and so *not stressful on themselves in normal operation like diesel are* that you know you are going to get years of opertion out of it.

Like maybe the occasional water pump, or exhaut repair ..... or even head gaskets.. all nicely fixable, doesn't have to be very expensive fairly normal issues. Waterboxers are like that. sure, they have joke headgaskets that need to be done every 80K miles or 8 years ..but there's no timing belt to break or fail.. it's a non-inteference engine .... low tech actually, underpowered sure, and silly head gasket design .. but it's not likely to fail seriously, or at least not for a long, long time.

Now if VW diesels were like say mercedes diesel engines .. and they'll go for 200K miles and even more .........with barely any attention .. man would that be nice !

you know........give me an engine that I know is fundamentally robust, durable, and not prone to catastopic failures like what happens with any timing belt failure on any vw diesel . The belt gets out of place for one second, and it's thousands of dollars gone, right there. Or ...at about 80,000 miles do a full rebuild ..and 'even then' there's still big risk.

it's that the margin between running ok and total disaster can be bridged in an instant with vw diesels.. sometimes, for some people, without any warning even.

but hey ..there's good money in fixin' the dang things. and we all get to know eachother better this way, and that's rewarding. So thanks VW .. if they were really built extra robust and strong, we wouldn't all know each other like this and be helping each other out. what fun. scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Dearing" <VWBrain@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 7:33 AM Subject: TDI bad camshaft