Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 May 2011 15:21:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans Modified Governor Test Report [addendum]
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

all good work there Jack.

re I have a question for those of you who drive a 1.9L manual: at what rpm do you normally upshift when pulling into traffic, or when climbing up a hill? I bet it's higher than 2600 rpm.

'way' above 2,600. Probably I'm shifting out of first at 4,200, and out of 2nd at 3,500 or so. And out of 3rd at fairly zippy rpm too.

the 1.9 likes to rev nicely. I've driven some 84 passenger manual trans vanagons that just rip through the gears .. like you're gonna be at 5K rpm easily in first and second if you just let it go as well as it wants to go.

With an auto trans the affect is quite attenuated. The auto trans , to me, by seat of the pants feel, eats up to 30 % of the power that would normally be there.

they're nice to drive , the auto, especially in stop n' go traffic ..( which I'm never in, or something is really wrong ! ) and they work all right .. but you pay in other ways to drive one.

( I have a plan for a manual trans that only needs the clutch pedal used for starting from a stop, after that all shifts are done disengaging the clutch with a small micro switch on the shifter. I have another plan ...to put in either a vw 3 speed 'autostick shift' trans . or better..........a 4 speed from a porsche 911....a 4 speed manual, but no clutch pedal ...pre electronic era too. )

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 1:32 PM Subject: Re: Auto Trans Modified Governor Test Report [addendum]