Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 May 2011 20:53:08 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Electric Power Steering in Vanagon
Comments: To: Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>

At 07:18 PM 5/23/2011, Jeff Schwaia wrote: >A Syncro just arrived from Europe that has an >aftermarket electric power steering setup. I've >seen these advertised before, but never one on a T3. > >Not sure if they're adjustable, but this one is >way too easy to turn. No effort at all. Don't like it! > >Here's a quick pic: > >http://www.autostadtwest.com/images/electricPS.jpg

Interesting. Appears to be a General Motors steering-column system built by NSK (or rather an NSK system built for General Motors) with some flanges knocked off the casting.

Some notes on GM electric steering here: http://motorage.search-autoparts.com/motorage/Technical/Straightening-out-GM-electric-power-steering/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/718296

With particular regard to Syncros...

>One final note about mechanical problems. From >experience, it seems that most mechanical >problems with EPS systems result from the >customer hitting a curb and breaking something >in the column. Unfortunately, this problem is >usually discovered after an alignment when the >technician turns a corner and the steering wheel >jerks abruptly to one side. One technician who >drove a car with this problem said it felt like >the steering wheel was ripped out of his hands >after the first turn – and he's glad he didn't >have his hand through the actual steering wheel >because it would have hurt! It's a good idea to >be careful when road testing a vehicle with EPS >if you suspect this might be the case.

Here's a readable tech paper from 1999 by some NSK engineers, talks about column-type and rack-and-pinion type setups.

Yrs, d