Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 May 2011 23:17:39 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Overfilling the oil issues
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

So Scott,

My engine is a year old and has 5,000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 500, 3000, mile increments then switched from Dino to Mobil 1 15/50. It was clean each time. Since the rebuild it has had an oil leak since day 1. Very minor though. Maybe I had to add a quart every 4-6 months. Prior to the rebuild never it never had one oil leak.

90% of the driving is on local back country hilly roads with some minor 15 minute highway drives. I just did my first long drive with the fan which was 3 hours. The temp gauge never went higher than halfway. I have external bus boys oil cooler on it as well as an external Smallcar tranny cooler on it. I looked and did not see any leaks coming from the hoses.

Where should I be looking for leaks? I just checked the engine casing tonight and I could not see anything leaking. I do clearly see that some oil has been coming from the what seems to be the fly wheel because I can see some oil spattered on the edge where it mates to the automatic transmission.

Where should I be looking on the breathing system for clogs?

I did see this small hole on auto tranny that if you were facing the rear of the vehicle it was on the passenger side. It looked like a screw was suppose to go in there but it was just a small hole that was exposed. I assume this is breathing vent for the tranny?

Rob